Wednesday 18 June 2008

Hutch Rats


I felt compelled to share this picture of my tea - perhaps I haven't lived enough but I've never seen such pretty teabags before... they are pyramids and shiney smooth to the touch.

Anyway ;)

It's a few days since my last post - apologies. I have been exceedingly busy. I have a notebook which I use to document my learning at work - it is colour coded into sections, the first being blue. A recent goal was to reach a siginificant level of understanding about my project by the time I reach the end of the blue section. With 4 sides to go, I think I might just manage that! The best test of understanding is definitely trying to explain the whole thing to someone else. Your turn will come. All in good time, readers.

I love my job. I (will) get paid a sum not to be sniffed at, but to be totally honest I feel like I am being paid in experience! I love PSI and I love real Physics. Real Physics is where people don't always know the answers but use what was taught in uni as a basis for the wonderful things yet to come!

So, the "Hutch Rats" - that is what the X-Ray Diffraction Microscopy team have become. The Hutch is what the beamline room is called.. and that is where we are living at the moment. I don't do much with the beamline - I am a study monster in the next room, absorbing what information flows between the scientists. I am understanding more and more - the more I learn the happier I become but the thing about learning more is, the less you really know because the more there is to know. Follow me?

I wish X-rays were green or something, because for all the equipment, it doesn't look like much is happening when the beam is running. Of course, the computers show that diffraction patterns are being collected etc, but I did expect at least some impressive whizzing sound, or mini explosion.

I have explored a little nearby - and have cycled to the next town, where there is a Co-op Supermarket (different to our Co-op). I've been in Baden to the cinema, and in Brugg on Saturday evening Jason and Jolanta had a bunch of us over for some food and games - much fun! I'm so happy to have met such super people - and to be staying with such super ones too! I've uploaded some photos to Flickr (see top link to the left) of some of the sights of late.

I must stop eating Swiss chocolate. It probably cancels out all the walking and cycling!

No comments: